Q: My car is has a lower end engine knock

I have some questions about my car. How often would the oil need replaced? At what point should the check engine light turn on if there is a problem with the oil or engine? The car is currently unusable because of a lower end engine knock, according to the dealership. I just had an oil change about 5,000 miles ago.

Hello. Most vehicles require an oil change at least every 5,000 miles. This is a good rule of thumb. If your engine has a knock now, then it either had an issue with the oil getting low or being too old, or the vehicle may have been driven too hard. In some cases, this can occur for no reason. I hope your vehicle is under warranty.

As for the Check Engine Light, most do not come on for low oil as many vehicles have a low oil or low oil pressure light to indicate an issue with the oil. If you need a second opinion on the vehicle, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your vehicle’s engine knock and determine the cause of the issue.

3. My car is has a lower end engine knock