Q: Car doesn't have power in the lower gears.

asked by on February 06, 2017

I was driving my car and it worked ok in first gear, but it wouldn't gain speed in second gear. It was like it didn't have any power. Then all of a sudden the engine would rev, and it would go faster, and i would be able to put it in third gear, and it would work fine. but the same problem would happen again after i came to a complete stop, it wouldn't gain speed in second gear. it is the middle of winter here so it's quite cold. i've had the battery replaced recently. I thought this could be either the transmission or clutch, but wasn't sure. Do you have any advice of how i could check it? The check engine light comes on when I start it now, and I'd be nervous to drive it again

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The issue is the clutch is slipping. When the transmission is in second gear, the power train is in an in between gear ratio and will cause the vehicle to have a loss of power during acceleration. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your clutch.