Q: Spare key starts vehicle but shuts off after like 10 seconds.

asked by on October 22, 2016

So I left my key for my vehicle at home about 45 min away but I have my spare key,. my spare key unlocks my vehicle and starts it just fine the only down side is that it shuts off after 10 seconds. Any thoughts ?

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Remove the negative battery cable to the battery and leave it off for about 2 minutes. This will cause the computer to reset. Then hook up the battery cable and start up the engine. If that don’t work, then put the key in the driver door and lock and unlock the door about 3 times. This will reprogram the computer to accept the chipped key. If you are still having trouble and need assistance, then seek out a technician, as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle.