Gas contaminated with water, how much to fix, what needs ...

Q: Gas contaminated with water, how much to fix, what needs to be done?

asked by on July 16, 2017

Daughter took car to dealer, engine light on. Mechanic states gas tainted with water. What would be needed to be done and how much should it cost. They were trying to add on spark plugs for $ 700, this would bring total job over $2500. Hat are her options?

The best way to remove all water from the gas tank is to simply replace the entire volume of gas that is being used. "HEET" is a fuel additive that is made for removing water from the gas tank. However, if there is more water in the tank than there is gas, fuel additives will not work. The best way to remove gas from the tank is a process of immediate displacement, siphoning out the old gas while immediately placing high octane gas in the tank as quickly as possible. Depending on the amount of water in the tank, you may want to drain the gas tank and leave it empty for a while allowing it to dry out. I would suggest having a professional mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.