Q: My car is a 2007 Subaru Forester: it is shaking when stopped & driving, check engine on, and sometimes little acceleration

asked by on October 10, 2017

Last night I drove my car home from work. Parked it for a couple minutes and when I got back to drive it acted up. Started shaking both stopped and moving, the check engine came on and cruise started flashing, and then I could barely get it to accelerate. It was fine today (the little I drove it) until I drove it tonight about 15 minutes and it began to shake again at the end of the trip and both cruise and check engine were flashing. Any idea what could cause this? I took it to the shop tonight (what that drive was), but I can't stop worrying about what it might be.

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Inasmuch as the check engine light is on, trouble codes will have been stored. Those stored troubles codes, which the mechanic can download, will give a good general indication of where the problem lies but a more specific diagnostic must then be performed to narrow it down. If your case is like most cases, though, the cause is probably mundane and could be as simple as a malfunctioning sensor or even merely a bad electrical connection to a critical sensor. Other possible causes of the rough operation you describe are contaminated gasoline, dirty or malfunctioning fuel injectors, vacuum leaks, incorrectly installed or damaged spark plugs, a defective or clogged fuel pump or fuel filter, failing electrical components such as the ignition control module, plug wires, coils, and spark plugs, a defective airflow sensor, dirty oxygen sensors and other causes. I would recommend that you request a rough operation/rough idle diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will perform the required diagnostic steps, right at your location, to get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr