Q: Squealing noise during acceleration

I've lately started hearing some engine noise when I accelerate. It's is high-pitched squealing sound that doesn't seem to appear while I'm driving steadily. What could be making the noise?

A: Hello there. Thanks for writing in about yo...

Hello there. Thanks for writing in about your 1981 Chevrolet El Camino. A few common faults could cause this type of squealing. The most likely would be a fan clutch, V-belt, alternator, or a water pump. Your best bet in this situation would be to have an expert mechanic inspect the squealing noise to detect the area that the sound is coming from, and then perform the necessary repairs from there.