Q: Car shakes and starts to die while idling

My car starts to die and starts shaking while idling. It doesn't accelerate like it should, and it has problems getting up to speed whenever I have to stop and go, as well as when I'm driving uphill. The battery keeps going dead, and the car overheats.

The battery dying is it’s own issue. It could be the battery itself, the charging system, or an electrical drain when the key is off. All of these will need tested to find the culprit. The engine running poorly and overheating could be one root problem, or it could be 5 unrelated things. A leaking head gasket could cause the rough idle, low power, and overheating. At this point it’s not worth guessing. Each system of the engine will need to be tested individually. The ignition system, the carburetor and vacuum lines, the cooling system, and the general mechanical condition of the engine. It would be best to have your rough idling issue diagnosed by a certified mechanic so that they can get you your car back on the road.

3. Car shakes and starts to die while idling