Q: 2003 Dodge Dakota still won't start after replacing battery

So I attempted to go to work yesterday and my car wouldn't start. I assume I left the lights on so I turned everything off and found a ride to work. I Attempted to jump start the battery with a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. After a solid 15 minutes of charging the best I could get was rapid clicking (presumably from the starter), lights and radio would turn on some attempts, others attempts to start the truck would get sporadic flickers of light, or nothing at all... I then proceeded to Advance Discount Auto parts and had the battery tested. After charging the battery for an hour the guy said it wasn't taking a charge very well and it was possibly a bad battery, I decided to just buy the cheapest battery recommended for my car that they had (which was significantly smaller than the battery I took out). After replacing the battery all I get ia a thud from the starter and still intermittent lights and radio.. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 180,000 miles.
  • Manual transmission.

A: The starting system is rather simple. The b...

The starting system is rather simple. The battery, the starter, and the ignition are the only major components. There are a few sensors related to the system that may need to be checked. The first thing you should do is check the battery cables. Make sure these are dry, clean, and tight. The solenoid on the starter can fail as well. This would cause very similar symptoms. The neutral safety switch and a few other sensors can cause the engine not to start, but the electronics would not have the symptoms you are describing. The issue is very likely the wiring between the starter and battery, or the starter itself. If you're unable to pinpoint the issue yourself, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the starting issue firsthand and make the necessary repairs to get your car going again.