Q: My passenger headlight keeps going out, then tap it and comes back on?

My passenger headlight keeps going out then I can tap the headlight and it comes back on. I'm wondering what I can do to fix this. Thanks

A: Hello. This sounds like the bulb filament i...

Hello. This sounds like the bulb filament in the glass is intermittently loose or the plug connection to the back of the bulb is loose, corroded, broken, or intermittent. If the bulbs are many years old, they have probably lost 20% of their lumen output anyway. So try replacing both headlight bulbs (they should be replaced in pairs), and while replacing them, check the plug connection for dirt, corrosion, salt, or electrical faults.

If you need new plug connector at the headlight, a new connector should be spliced in for you. Dielectric grease is sometimes recommended for the plug area to keep moisture out. Do NOT touch the bulb glass. If you leave body oil on it, the bulb could shatter in use. Also, keep bulbs away from your face as they can shatter and cause eye injury. If you want to have this taken care of for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic, can come to your car's location to replace the headlight bulbs for you.