Q: My battery light came on, power steering went out, & overheated 1997 BMW 528i

My battery light came on. A couple minutes later it started overheating, smoking and the steering got stiff

Hello - I believe the serpentine belt, which drives the alternator, power steering pump, and water pump, failed. This caused all of the symptoms you describe. I recommend a serpentine belt replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• My battery light came on, power steering went out, & overheated 1997 BMW 528i