Q: My battery light came on, power steering went out, & overheated 1997 BMW 528i

My battery light came on. A couple minutes later it started overheating, smoking and the steering got stiff

Hello - I believe the serpentine belt, which drives the alternator, power steering pump, and water pump, failed. This caused all of the symptoms you describe. I recommend a serpentine belt replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My battery light came on, power steering went out, & overheated 1997 BMW 528i