Q: Transmission only is in 1st and reverse.

asked by on October 27, 2016

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission when in drive stuck in 1st gear and will go in reverse. Changed the VSS, TPS, TCC PVM. No change. Reverse and first only. Won't shift out of first when in drive. Red lines in first when in drive. Let off the gas and it slips. Fluid was fine. Dirty but no metal or debris. Changed fluid and filter, no change. Changed both shift solenoids.

Hi there. Today’s modern automatic transmissions are much more complex than in years past. Because of this, your shifting issue may be caused by several individual internal components such as the ring gear, central gear, or even the torque converter.

However, if the vehicle detected a problem within the transmission, it would have entered a "limp mode" which is similar to the symptoms you’re describing. This allows the driver to drive the vehicle to a shop for service. Since there are several issues that could be causing this problem on your 2002 Chevy pickup, you should have a local mechanic complete an inspection of the shifting problem first, before having any repairs completed.