Q: I am seeing smokes from my muffler in 57 degrees weather?

asked by on February 27, 2017

After I had my timing belt replaced along with crankshaft seal replaced and oil pump housing recaulked due to an oil leak. That was done in the Winter time. And then I started to see excessive smokes from my muffler. I thought maybe it's because it's cold out but the temperature has gotten into the 50s and I can still see the smoke from my muffler. This is something that I have never seen prior to the work done. Please tell me if I am not exaggerating or if it's a problem the previous mechanic did?

The repairs that were performed would not be implicated as a cause in any engine smoking that is visible in the exhaust. Some smoke at start up can be normal, particularly white smoke from condensation. However, continuous smoking after the first few minutes signifies a problem with the engine that you should seek to have identified in an engine smoking diagnostic. If the smoke is white that could be from an antifreeze leak due to a cracked cylinder head or engine block or a head gasket failure. If the smoke is blue, that means there is an oil leak into the combustion chambers from the valve guides, valve stem oil seals (common issue as engine gets older) or the rings. Black smoke occurs if the engine is being flooded with gasoline. Of course, multiple engine faults could occur at the same time causing different appearance of the smoke. At any rate, the thing to do to resolve this is seek a diagnostic so that you can determine if a repair is required. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.