Q: Diesel in the gas tank

Diesel was accidentally put into the gas tank. The vehicle was then driven approximately eight miles.

A: Hello, the only repair that can be made is ...

Hello, the only repair that can be made is to drain the fuel tank, flush the fuel lines, flush the fuel rail, and replace the fuel filter. The fuel tank once drained, can be removed and then the fuel pump sender and pump unit can be removed and drained. The fuel tank can be washed out with a small amount of gas, drained, then put together and re-installed. While the tank is out the fuel lines should be flushed and the fuel filter replaced. The fuel rail and fuel injectors should be removed and the fuel rail flushed. The injector should have a new O-ring installed before being put into the fuel rail. Fresh gas can then be put in the tank and the car will run as normal. For the old fuel drained from the tank, the gas diesel mix is considered hazardous waste that should be handled appropriately by a professional.