Q: Overdrive stuck on OFF

asked by on September 06, 2016

I’m having issues with the overdrive in my Mazda Protege. The button has stopped working and the over drive is stuck on off. I tried unplugging the battery for a while to see if it was the ECU car computer. I wanted to reset everything, but that didn’t work. I don’t have a check engine light for it either. Do you have any ideas on what this could be and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Hello. The button itself might be damaged. Every switch and button accessible to the driver will have a way of being serviced. It’s just a matter of what panels or access points you have to get into in order to reach them. It could be an electrical component involved with the button. Messing around with the button, if you’re extremely careful, can be done with relative ease to at least rule out some options with electrical components or the button itself. In a worst case scenario, there’s an issue with overdrive on your transmission. If you would like to have all of this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect related electrical circuits to have this problem addressed.