Q: Jerking motions during turns and minor jerks or surges at highway speed

asked by on July 30, 2016

All behaviors are on dry pavement. When going through a turn and beginning to accelerate out the car will occasionally jerk. It doesn't really feel like a shift and the jerk is very sudden. I've checked and changed the transmission fluid, cleaned the mass airflow sensor, and the throttle body. Also, when driving at highway speeds I feel a very slight hesitation. It occurs infrequently (every 1-3 mins). During both the these scenarios the air conditioning is running. There are currently no check engine lights.

You should first make sure all 4 tires are of the same size and brand of tire with similar amount of wear. Tires that are different sizes or amount of wear will turn at a different rates and can cause the differential to jerk or hop in a turn.

If the tires are same measuring with the tape measure then you may have transaxle internal clutch binding issue. The slight hesitation you feel may be from normal A/C compressor cycling. If the A/C system is not as cold as it should be then you may get faster cycling. This may be normal.

If you’d like to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose the rough driving symptoms you’ve described and help make the necessary repairs.