Q: i upgraded from 28.9 in tire to 32.4 in tires. a week later transmission went out, what should i change to relieve strain on trans

asked by on April 30, 2017

i upgraded from 28.9 in tire to 32.4 in tires. a week later transmission went out (band went out). Had it rebuit and then 3 weeks later it over heats and burns up 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear (transmission shop said they don't know why it over heated, I think there was a leak though). Are the larger tires directly related to my transmission issues and if so, should i regear the rear end to take stress off the tranny or upgrade the torque converter? Truck is currently stock with L60e transmission. 2wd. I have noticed that i lost quite a bit of acceleration on take off, like im riding the brakes. truck almost struggles to take off. So I'm not sure if the tires alone will make that big of a difference or if something else is wrong too. Stock rims 15 in alloy with 28.9 in tires, new rims 20 in with 32.4 in tires. the width on the new tires is more too, can't remember how much though.

The change in shift points generates added heat in terms of operation. Increasing the tire tire diameter more than a percent or two affects the transmission shift points, as the shift points were programmed based on the vehicle’s original tire size. Consequently, the final drive gear ratio might have to modified to match the vehicle’s current tire size. It would be easier and more cost effective though to revert back to the OEM tire size. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr