Q: Not getting good read on my oil dipstick

asked by on December 22, 2016

I check my oil in ny car before I leave my house in the morning.it shows it down a quart.i wipe off dipstick and recheck it it shows it fine at the max line.i recheck it and same thing.i had oil change 2 and half months ago my car doesn't leak oil either.what reading should I go with.is it because it's been sitting all night that it shows I need oil.im confused.im going to take it to mechanic I guess but wanted someone else's thoughts .

Hi There, The best time to check the engine oil is usually just before starting the motor or after it has been shut down for 10-20 minutes. This allows for all of the oil in the motor to be drained to the bottom of the oil pan providing a more accurate reading. Be sure to pull the dipstick out and wipe it off first and then reinsert the dipstick holding it for a few seconds to be sure it has a chance to register an accurate reading in the oil pan.