Q: My Infiniti ex35 shuts off while driving. Said to be a sensor but not sure which one.

asked by on March 02, 2017

Car shuts down while driving. Mechanic said it was a sensor but not sure which one. Have to take to dealership but I want to know what's wrong before dealership charges me arm and a leg just to look at the problem.

A sensor can certainly be the cause of a stalling issue. However, the only way to determine which sensor, if it is in fact due to a sensor at all, is to properly diagnose the stalling issue. Your vehicle has dozens of sensors the engine and transmission rely on for input. Any one of them can be causing a stalling issue. Also, mechanical issues like vacuum leaks, poor fuel delivery, ignition issues, or others can be causing the stalling. Replacing a random sensor or other parts without actually determining they are the problem, will cost you more in the long run. If you replace random parts that do not solve the stalling issue, you will not be able to return those parts. Have the vehicle diagnosed properly to find the cause. It will save you money in the long run.