Q: belt broke serpentine

asked by on February 18, 2017

belt was old so it broke now im told i need a new tensioner that its off and a harmonic balancer but i can get by for a short time without the balancer does rhis make sense why all this at once?

Crankshaft Harmonic Balancer Replacement $133.89 - $841.61 Get a Quote

If your car has a substantial amount of mileage, it’s not unusual for a serpentine belt to break and to need a new tensioner (the bearing on the tensioner wears out). If the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley is out of position that can contribute to belt breakage because the pulleys will not be in the same plane. If the harmonic balancer has a problem, it is unwise to put off replacement of the balancer because the purpose of the balancer is to protect the crankshaft from excessive torsional forces. So, if you know for a fact that the balancer is defective replace it as soon as possible. If you need a new tensioner, all pulleys driven by the serpentine belt should be inspected and replaced as necessary. If you request harmonic balancer inspection/replacement a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get all of the issues involving the belt, tensioner and harmonic balancer resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.