Q: Engine automatically turning off after letting it warm up.

It was a warm day during January (usually cold). I go outside and let my car warm up for about 5 minutes, when I come back the car is turned off. I restarted it with no problem but the engine did turn off after only a couple of seconds. Turning it on is no problem, it's just that on some occasions it turns off automatically. After it does turn off, the engine and an ETC warning light does come on and goes away after restarting. I have a 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T with around 190,000 miles

Hi There, It sounds like you may have an ignition coil pack beginning to fail. When the engine shuts off, it is normal for the lights in the dash to light up and then turn off again once the engine starts. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This type of temperature cycling happens because every time you shut the engine off, the fan stops running, the coolant stops flowing and the temperature under the hood rises. Every time you start the engine again the coolant flows, the fans turn on, and the temperature drops. When this heat dissipates and is absorbed under the hood, it is trapped causing this cycling effect. Components that contain heat sensitive materials include parts like coils, injectors, igniters, and some sensors. Any of these may be potentially subject to this same kind of heat problem which can be very difficult to trace. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.