Q: Car does not engage drive when cold, after it warms up shift into drive with no problem. No grinding ect.

asked by on April 11, 2017

1961 Ford Galaixe, it has a 3 speed automatic..Cruise o matic..When I start the car cold and try to put it in drive...nothing...no grinding or anything..its shifts.. just does not engage...but if I let it warm up for while..it shifts into drive with no problem...While driving seems to shift normally and smoothly...and cold or not it shifts into reverse with no issues...

The oil pump in your transmission is probably worn out. The oil pump produces the hydraulic pressure that the transmission uses to engage the forward clutch. As the transmission warms up and some of the clearances tighten up, there is just enough pressure to make it work, but soon it probably won’t work at all. If you haven’t changed the fluid and filter, you may be able to extend the life of the transmission some with that service, but eventually you will probably need to get an transmission or an overhaul. To get a hands on opinion, you can contact Your Mechanic They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your transmission problem and tell you for sure what it will take to solve your problem.