Q: My ignition is jammed and my key won't turn

asked by on November 16, 2016

My ignition is jammed I have got the car started twice but now my key won't turn at all and I have tried everything what should I do ?

Hi there. What you’re describing is commonly associated with a broken ignition lock cylinder. The ignition lock assembly is a tumbler and key mechanism that is used to trigger power supply to auxiliary components and engage the starter motor to begin the ignition process. When the internal components inside this unit become corroded or broken, the key might stick inside the unit. One way to remove the key is to spray penetrating fluid (WD-40) carefully inside and jiggle the key until the tumblers loosen. If this doesn’t work, you’ll have to replace the ignition lock assembly. If you would like to have some professional assistance with this issue, you can contact a mobile technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect and diagnose your ignition key problem for you.