Q: Why does my V8 sound like a V6 some of the time in my 1982 Mercury Grand Marquis

some times my car sounds like a v8 or some times its like v6/4 cylinder also it gets hot realy quick but never overheats plus no blown gaskets and it runs good but has a oil leak in the valve cover gaskets would that have anything to do with it.

Hello. I would need to hear how the engine sounds in order to be able to know what it may be doing. If the engine is getting hot fast but is not actually overheating then that may simply be a bad temperature sensor. As for the oil leak, if it is getting onto the spark plug wires then it may be causing some shorts in the ignition system which can cause a misfire and cause the engine to run like this. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to listen to the engine.

3. Why does my V8 sound like a V6 some of the time in my 1982 Mercury Grand Marquis