Q: Car shuts down while driving in rain

asked by on November 29, 2016

Was driving my car down the high way and it was raining and it shut down. I pulled over and tried to start it up and it went. Drove a little farther and it happened again. The car doesn't have the engine splash shield on it right now. Would that be the cause?

It’s not unusual for older cars to be missing some of the splash shields and covers. Sometimes you’ll never notice, sometimes, such as now, you can see a problem. If water from the rain or spray from the road gets onto your ignition cables or other electrical parts, it can shut you right down. It may be necessary to replace the missing splash shield, it also may be that your ignition cables need replacing. A good set of cables can usually resist a certain amount of moisture. To be sure, contact Your Mechanicto have a technician come to your home or office to check out your car and tell you what it will take to solve your problem.