Loud steering that only makes noise when I turn steering ...

Q: Loud steering that only makes noise when I turn

asked by on November 02, 2015

My 2013 Nissan Rogue has gotten really noisy lately whenever I turn left or right, especially when I am not going very fast. The car has 18,000 miles on it. Is this a big repair or is there some easy service that might alleviate the problem?

Noises can be annoying and bothersome. Diagnosing a noise is a hands on job. With so many items involved in driving and turning, it is hard to say what the specific cause could be. The possible items involved are the continuously variable transmission (CVT), axels, control arms, and steering knuckle. Sometimes noises can be duplicated in the shop with the car running on the lift. If your car is under warranty, a trip to the dealer might be needed. There is Technical Services Bulletin (TSB) FA12-055d for a noise that might apply to your vehicle. If your vehicle is no longer under warranty, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, would be happy to diagnose the noises and determine the cause for you. If you are able to replicate the noise or provide a technician specific detail as to how to replicate the noise, you will save the mechanic .