Q: TCC solenoid converter

asked by on April 25, 2017

Hi, I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 6cylinder automatic.. I have a check engine code P0743 which I looked up and indicates a TCC convertor issue... I took it to Mieneke and they couldn't help me... engine runs good, no slipping or anything, it will shift at higher speeds with no problems, smooth shifting, the car does struggle after 55MPH, slight vibration, also note that the check engine light will go off if I do not drive passed 50MPH, but when I do the check engine light will go on.. I am not sure what the problem could be? Any help would be much appreciated! Would like to know if there is a specific part that needs to be replaced? I am good with working on cars and working with my hands, I am just horrible at diagnosing problems! Thank you so much

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $445.00 Get a Quote

Code P0473 indicates a fault with the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid inside the transmission. P0743 is usually a problem with the electrical side of the TCC solenoid, wiring or trans control relay. It is a repair that any reputable transmission shop should be able to take care of. The transmission pan will have to be removed to access the TCC. It is mounted along side the valve body - which may also have to be removed to make the repair. The torque converter connects the engine and transmission. The converter "locks up" - locks the engine and transmission together in a one to one ratio for efficiency. When the solenoid fails, lock-up does not occur so engine rpm’s may stay higher at highway speeds reducing fuel economy and potentially making the transmission run hotter. The repair should be performed as soon as possible to avoid this. Be sure fresh transmission fluid and a filter are installed along with the repair.