Q: Manual car won't shift

I drive a manual car, and it won't shift. When I put it into gear, the shifter can freely move right and left like it's not in gear.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Well, there are several things that come to mind. If your clutch is worn, stepping on the clutch pedal still won’t allow you to put your car in gear. When you step on the clutch, the transmission disengages from the engine. This slows the insides of the transmission just enough to allow you to shift gears. When the clutch is worn, the slave cylinder doesn’t have enough travel to disengage the clutch from the engine, so it wont allow you to put it in gear. The repair is replacing the clutch and pressure plate. The other possibility is that you have broken a shift fork in the transmission. The shift forks are what actually move the slides inside the gear box to engage the gears when you move the shifter. This is not something that is common, but it does happen. In either case, I would suggest seeking help from a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to help properly diagnose your gear shifting problem.