I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla S. It has less than 50k mil...

Q: I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla S. It has less than 50k miles. Is the engine interchangeable with other years of the Corolla or othe

asked by on May 06, 2017

I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla S. It has less than 50k miles. It was in a collision and has passenger side body damage. Is the engine or transmission interchangeable with other years of the Corolla or other models?

There was a North American production version of the 1.8L engine and a Japanese version. The engines were different (you must get a car that used the EXACT same engine otherwise you will have problems with the compatibility of the recipient car computer). To give you precise model info, I would need your VIN number. But, broadly, the engine that you have was used in the 2009-2014 Matrix and in certain models of the 2010-2013 Corolla. All you need to do to establish an exact match is compare the donor car VIN with the recipient car VIN. If both VINS interchange to the same Toyota "engine assembly" part number, as published by Toyota, then you will have an exact match and be in great shape. Remember, everything MUST be identical. Engines nowadays are controlled by computers. That means that any differences, or catalog incompatibilities, and you will have problems. If you are interested in an engine replacement (OEM to OEM), YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.