Q: p0340

While driving the car died after a jerk was felt. Car would not start. Ran a obd2 and it gave me the code p0340. Car will turn but will not start even with starter fluid. Friend told me the jerk was the timing belt when the camshaft gave out. Others have said it could be the crankshaft. It only gave me the p0340 code. What could the issue be?

Some of the common causes of Diagnostic Trouble Code P0340 include camshaft position sensor circuit wiring that is broken, shorted, or corroded; a camshaft position sensor circuit connector that is broken, shorted, or corroded; a faulty camshaft position sensor; a failed crankshaft position sensor; and a faulty PCM (rare). You should also check to be sure that the timing belt is intact and the valve timing is correct, if not faults there will cause P0340 to set as well. If the timing belt has 60,000 or more miles on it, it should be replaced. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed for you and estimate the repair cost based on the diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.