Q: valve tick on driver's side - 1971 Dodge Charger

when my engine is cold i hear a valve tick, when the engine warms up it almost completely goes away

A: Hello. This is very normal for nearly every...

Hello. This is very normal for nearly every car. When your car's engine is cold and has been sitting for a while, the oil that is brought to the top of the motor when the engine is running will slowly run back down into the bottom of the motor into the oil pan. When you first start the car up, it can take a minute or so for the oil pressure to build back up and to get the oil back up to the valve train again. The valve ticking sound you are hearing is the metal-on-metal sound of the valve train working without oil for a few seconds. If you observe the problem getting worse, or you feel that there is a change in performance, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the noise and relevant systems to make any needed adjustments.