Q: High idling on cold start

My car has been idling very high. It happens when the engine is cold and during bad weather. It would start revving in the 1900-2100 RMP range and it would go on like that until I let it warm up for several minutes. Then I would put it in gear and press the brake pedal hard in order to decrease RPMs. I went to the dealership and they had the computer reprogramed, which helped a bit. However, the problem hasn't been solved. What should I do?

Hi there thanks for writing in about your 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. This sounds like a failing idle air control valve issue. If this is confirmed, and the valve is replaced, there is also a ’relearning" process for the engine management computer (ECM) which should be followed so the ECM can calibrate itself to the new valve. If you need help having this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the high idle and let you know how to best proceed.