Q: High idling on cold start

asked by on August 24, 2016

My car has been idling very high. It happens when the engine is cold and during bad weather. It would start revving in the 1900-2100 RMP range and it would go on like that until I let it warm up for several minutes. Then I would put it in gear and press the brake pedal hard in order to decrease RPMs. I went to the dealership and they had the computer reprogramed, which helped a bit. However, the problem hasn't been solved. What should I do?

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote
Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there thanks for writing in about your 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. This sounds like a failing idle air control valve issue. If this is confirmed, and the valve is replaced, there is also a ’relearning" process for the engine management computer (ECM) which should be followed so the ECM can calibrate itself to the new valve. If you need help having this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the high idle and let you know how to best proceed.