Q: Can't shift into reverse 1st or 2nd

I have a 99 VW beetle 2.0 5 speed.... Original issue I had no reverse.... Stick it into what should be reverse and it's 1st.... Now I lost first and second as well. Tried to adjust the cables and still didn't fix the problem... How do I fix this?

Cable adjustment was the correct thing to try, but it won’t help much if the ball and socket in the shifter is bad. The VW shifters use a nylon ball and socket joint that can crack, throwing everything off. Try pulling up the boot and doing a visual inspection. If that hardware is OK, maybe the cable housings are damaged. You need to inspect them carefully for free motion. Bad motor mounts can also cause shifting errors. I don’t think you’ll have an internal transmission problem But you have to sort through everything else before you know whether you need to think about the transmission itself. If you want to engage professional help on this, contact Your Mechanic, they will send a technician to your home or office to check out your shifting problem and advise you as to what can be done for it.