Q: steering wheel very stiff even after fluid was added

Two months ago, the steering wheel started feeling stiff. Thinking it might need some power steering fluid, I checked and it was a bit low on fluid. I thought adding some would take care of the stiffness. But a few weeks later it started being stiff to turn again. As I was pulling into a parking lot, making a slow turn, I almost grazed the side of another car. I was having to use a lot of force to move the steering wheel. I realized how serious this could be, so I plan on getting it fixed. Before doing so, I would like your advice as to what would be causing this?

Hello. There could be a problem with the power steering pump leaking, one of the power steering hoses leaking, or the rack and pinion leaking. Those would be the 3 major culprits that could be causing issues. Have the entire system looked at by an expert technician. If you want to have this taken care of, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your power steering system for leaks and make the appropriate repairs and adjustments to have this resolved.

3. steering wheel very stiff even after fluid was added