Q: Car won't start after the ignition switch replacement

asked by on August 03, 2016

The ignition switch in my car was malfunctioning. I had to keep the key in the "on" position so as not to turn off the car. So, I had it replaced with a new one. I did it myself. But, even though all the electronics function properly, I cannot start the car when I turn the key to the run position. I cannot start the car with the remote either. It wouldn't even turn over. What could be wrong?

Hello. If your 1998 Buick Riviera cannot be started remotely or when the key is turned all the way, then you either have a bad starter relay, or there can be an issue with the starter or the transmission position sensor. Both of these are common issues that will cause this. If you are planning on repairing this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the starting issue for you.