Q: squeaky brakes.

I bought a Renault Clio campus 2007, (there wasn't an option for my car) it had the brakes replaced shortly before I bought it. But 3 months later the brakes squeak like hell when lightly pressed, not firmly, only when heated up. I have tried copper grease on them but that's not worked and I don't know what to do as the brakes are new and I can't see what's wrong. Thanks.

A: Squeaky brakes can be frustrating. Let me o...

Squeaky brakes can be frustrating. Let me offer a few suggestions that will hopefully quiet down the noise. The squeal or squeak is due to metal surfaces vibrating without lubrication. Proper lubrication is key to a quiet brake job. The tin spacers that go between the brake pads and the brake caliper bracket should be free of rust.

I usually apply a high temp silicon based lubricant to the edges of the pads where they meet the bracket. I would also apply a light coating to the ears of the caliper itself where they touch the outside pad and the edge of the caliper piston where it touches the inside brake pads. Be careful not to put so much where it will ooze out and get on the braking surfaces. If you lubricate all the places where there is metal to metal contact (except the rotors and the braking surface of the pads obviously) there won't be any friction to create any squealing.

If you need any help with this, I would have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose your brake noise and have this problem properly serviced for you.