Q: Oil or some sort of black sludge covering CV axle, control arm, etc.

I was changing my front brakes on my vehicle, and as soon as I took off the passenger side wheel I noticed sludge on the inside of the vehicle. I scooped some up as well on my gloves and feels like engine oil sludge or grease. I've taken some photos. Please let me know what it could possibly be. Thanks, here are 2 photos. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26977424/Car/Car%20%281%29.jpg and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26977424/Car/Car%20%282%29.jpg

A: After looking at the pictures you took, it ...

After looking at the pictures you took, it looks to me like the inner axle boot has been slinging out grease from the CV joint. I recommend you clean off the inner CV boot and look for a loose or torn boot. It does not need to be a very big hole to sling out the grease. The CV axle should be replaced if you find the boot is torn or leaking. If you cannot find any leaks then the grease could of been from a previous axle that was replaced and the vehicle was not cleaned off. The grease will stay around for a long time. If you need help changing the axle then I would have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, replace the axle for you.