Q: Squeaking noise, battery loses power. 1996 Jaguar XJ6

When I put the car into drive, it starts making squeaking noises. When this happens, the battery gauge shows loss of power. If the weather is colder, the noise becomes more frequent. If I floor the gas pedal, the squeaking noise disappears. What could be causing this?

Hi there, thank for writing in about your 1997 Jaguar XJ6. It sounds like the alternator drive belt (accessory belt) is loose, glazed, or worn out, and should be replaced. A second possibility is that the belt tensioner has lost it’s tensioning capability. If you would like to have these items checked a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the squeaking noise and the battery loss of power.

3. Squeaking noise, battery loses power. 1996 Jaguar XJ6