Q: I spilled a little oil on engine while putting oil in my car, I tried to soak up what I could reach, should I be worried?

asked by on December 17, 2017

While putting oil in my car, I spilled a little over the side of where the oil goes in. I used a paper towel to soak up what I could reach. Should I be worried about anything? Will it just burn off itself, or will anything get damaged?

This should not hurt anything, however, you may notice some white smoke as the engine gets hot and burns the oil off of the side of the motor where it was spilled. This will usually continue until the remaining oil that was spilled is entirely burnt. If the smoking continues for an extended period of time, I would suggest having a professional take a look to be sure there are not any oil leaks anywhere.