Q: 97 jeep wrangler 2.5 will start then shut down at idle

asked by on June 24, 2017

I have replaced the Idle Air Control and the Throttle Positioning Sensor.The engine will start and run at 1800 to 2000 rpms for about 10 to 20 sec and then drops to idle and shuts down completely. Sometimes the engine will knock a bit when it shut down.

Car starts and then dies Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. What you are describing is typical with a fuel restriction, typically caused by either a dirty fuel filter, failing fuel pump or clogged fuel injectors. It’s also common for a damaged mass air flow sensor, dirty air filter or EGR valve to cause air to fuel mixture problems that will make the mix too rich and stall the vehicle quickly. It’s probably best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car starts then dies inspection to determine the precise source of this issue, so the right repairs will be made.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr