Q: Replaced water pump, radiator and thermostat car is still overheating. What can it be?

asked by on March 23, 2017

Changed water pump, radiator and thermostat. Car still overheating it has a leak in the headers and i am getting that replaced too. Can that be why it is still overheating?

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

I’m sorry to hear about your overheating issues. There are a few possibilities that can cause an engine to overheat. The radiator, water pump, and thermostat are definite possibilities, but there are a few others that are possible also. A faulty cooling fan is the first thing that comes to mind, but it could also be a head gasket issue, clogged coolant passages inside the engine, or faulty radiator hoses. I would first look at the cooling fan and/or the cooling fan switch. It would be necessary to start with a cold engine and check to see if the fan comes on as the engine warms up. Most of the time, you can do a quick check by turning on the air conditioning, as this should signal the fan on also. If this is something you feel you could use a hand in diagnosing/repairing, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics at YourMechanic.com.