Q: Car backfiring and spitting

asked by on March 21, 2016

My car is backfiring, and it has no get up and go when I step on the gas pedal. It's spitting.

Engine is backfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The fuel pressure may be low and starving the engine for fuel. The first thing you should check is the fuel pressure and that the fuel filter is not blocking the flow of fuel. If both of these check out then the next common causes are either that the mass air flow sensor or throttle position sensor are malfunctioning in which case they should be tested for codes. I recommend having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect why your engine is backfiring.