Q: EPC light on 2004 Jetta. Code said brake switch faulty, but brakes lights worked. Replaced brake switch, now no brake lights.

asked by on June 26, 2017

EPC light comes on intermittently. Had a mechanic look at it and he said code reader said the brake switch was faulty. Brake lights worked, though. I got a new switch at the dealer and followed instructions to replace it. Now I have no brake lights. I checked the fuses and all ok. I checked the terminals on the switch for continuity and it opened and closed when I depressed the brake pedal. I even put the old brake switch back in and still no brake lights. What am I missing?

Hi there. The first thing that pops in my mind beyond of what you have listed is perhaps the electrical harness attached to the brake switch. Perhaps the harness itself is damaged or you have an exposed wire, loose ground wire somewhere. You might want to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a brake lights not working inspection to help you diagnose this issue.