Q: left front and right rear brakes locked up while driving

My car would not go over 40mph. When I stopped for a red light thick smoke was coming out from the front of my car. Had car towed to my mechanic. Was told that left front brake and right rear brake were locked up. Replaced master cylinder but problem still there. Now says will cost $1400 for esp or abs system. He has had it for over a week. I need help

A: From the sounds of things, a fault with the...

From the sounds of things, a fault with the ABS system seems the most likely at this point as the original cause. A few other causes would be a brake caliper that had seized or a mechanical brake issue, such as worn brake pads. The brake pads may have also been damaged when they locked up first time. If you need help with this, a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your brake system and perform any repairs required.