Q: What type of tire chains should be used and what precautions should be followed?

What type of tire chains should be used and what precautions should be followed?

If you live in an area where winter snow and ice can be a problem, you’ll need to be prepared. One of the best precautions to take is to carry a set of tire chains in your car, particularly if you’re not installing studded snow tires (either from personal preference or because they’re not legal in your area). Here are a few tips to follow regarding tire chains:

• Ford recommends using SAE Class S cables for the front wheels on your car. Chains may cause damage to the vehicle, so opt for cables.

• Don’t install cables or chains on the rear tires.

• If your car uses P225/50R17 or P225/45R18 tires, don’t use tire chains or cables.

• Don’t drive over 30 MPH with cables/chains installed.

• Uninstall cables/chains as soon as they are not needed.

• Make sure that the cables/chains don’t contact any part of the Braking or Suspension systems.

3. What type of tire chains should be used and what precautions should be followed?