Q: Saab wont start, or crank, check engine light, "coolant sensor" is on

my mom gave me a saab last year, she said it doesn't work, she thinks the motor is blown. However, before I junk the car I want to make sure. It won't start, it doesn't crank at all. The check engine light is on as well as "coolant sensor". I guess it ran great when she bought it last year and a week later it just quit running without a warning at all. Its a 1999 saab 9-5 SE. it only has 123000 miles and the engine appears to be in good condition by the appearance of, meaning it doesn't look "sludgy" or anything. If it just needs the coolant sensor replaced, would that explain why it shut down and won't crank at all? sometimes it will click but usually it doesn't do anything just the electric comes on like the lights, battery, etc. Does it sound as though the motor is blown? Or could this be a coolant sensor issue?

Starting with the coolant sensor. While the coolant sensor may be an issue, rarely if ever will a failed coolant sensor prevent the engine from cranking. It usually will just effect engine performance and economy. If the engine shut down the last time it ran, it’s possible there are other issues that caused it. If the engine was overheated, there may be internal damage to the engine, possibly causing it to seize. A no crank / no start issue can be due to a damaged engine or even a failed starter. If the starter is easily accessed either underhood or under the car, grab a small hammer and a friend. While one of you holds the ignition in the Crank/Start position, have the other lightly tap the starter with the hammer. If the starter has a "dead spot", sometimes batter power from cranking and the light taps from the hammer will move the starter internals enough to start the vehicle. If that does not work and you are interested in finding the exact cause of the no start before deciding to get rid of the vehicle, have a certified technician inspect the vehicle to see if it is worth repairing.

3. Saab wont start, or crank, check engine light, "coolant sensor" is on