Q: can't shift gears

asked by on February 18, 2018

I have a Civic Si 07 manual transmission that I just bought recently, but I noticed that when I go into first gear and let it rev high and then I try to go to second gear it won't let me proceed. I feel I have to use force to get to the next gear and on to the next ones only just if I let the rev go high otherwise if I go lower rev I can make the changes in gears with no problem.

Assuming the transmission fluid level is adequate, the problem you are describing is due to either a clutch system fault or an internal transmission fault such as worn synchronizers, hub gear, or hub assembly. If the clutch needs service, that is a somewhat routine repair and not nearly as involved as rebuilding the transmission which is the usual course if internal transmission parts are worn. To have the origin of the shift difficulty pinpointed, the recommended service is a clutch system diagnostic. Basically, if and once the clutch, and the hydraulic control circuit for the clutch, is ruled out the only other possible cause of the shift difficulty would be internal part failure in the transmission. If you request the clutch system diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.