Automatic car stalls when put in gear pathfinder 1999 aut...

Q: Automatic car stalls when put in gear

asked by on December 18, 2016

car starts and revs up. Every time in is put into drive or reverse it dies

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty MAP sensor. The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor detects engine load and generates a signal that is proportional to the amount of vacuum in the intake manifold. The ECU uses this information to adjust ignition timing and fuel enrichment relative to the amount of power needed. When the engine is working hard, intake vacuum drops as the throttle opens wide and the engine takes in more air, which requires more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio in balance. When the computer reads a heavy load signal from the [MAP sensor]((https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/manifold-absolute-pressure-sensor-map-sensor-replacement), it adjusts the fuel mixture to slightly more rich than normal so the engine can produce more power. The computer will then retard (back off) ignition timing slightly to prevent detonation (spark knock) that can damage the engine and decrease performance. This may explain why the engine dies as you put the vehicle into gear as a load is put on the motor. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

The internal transmission seals are leaking pressure to reverse and forward gears at the same time and lock up transmission then stalls the engine. You will need to have a pressure test on the transmission to see if the leak is caused by a leaking seal or a leaking reverse or forward solenoid. You may need to have a complete overhaul of the transmission.