Q: My car was clicking, then it stopped running and the battery and check engine lights came on.

asked by on February 05, 2017

I was driving home last night and my car stopped running While I was driving it. The car wouldn't move and the check engine and battery lights came on. I tried to turn the car off and then on again, but there was just a strange noise from under the hood and then nothing happened. When I was getting in the car before my trip, I noticed a clicking noise from under the hood. I noticed this shortly after jerking my car into a sudden turn, and I'm not sure if there is a relation. When the car stopped, my hazard lights were working, but after about 20 minutes, the hazard lights stopped working (shortly after my heat stopped working). What could this be? About how much will it be to fix? Someone suggested that it might be the timing belt. Is this possible?

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

When the red battery light comes on, this is an indication that the battery is not being charged. The alternator is responsible for charging the battery. If the alternator malfunctions, a check engine light may be set due to charging system failure. Many other strage electrical problems can be associated with a failed alternator such as random warning lights or inoperative buttons or electrical systems. I would recommend having your vehicle jump started and then check the output of the alternator with a digital multimeter. The alternator should be producing above 14 volts. This can be done by connecting the digital multimeter to both terminals of the battery and setting the meter to volts DC. If you are in doubt about the inspection of the alternator, consider YourMechanic as this service can be done from your home or office.

Hi there. It sounds like it may be a timing belt concern, but there are definitely other possibilities that may not be as involved as the timing belt. There could be an alternator concern, drive belt failing concern, or an electrical concern that is creating the concern. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not start inspection or a car stalled inspection