Q: Can a gasket leak from the intake leak air into the cooling system?

asked by on October 20, 2016

My vehicle is slowly overheating due to bubbles slowly entering into the cooling system... Can a bad intake gasket create this problem? The truck runs fine maybe gas mileage could be better. I tried blue devil followed directions without success.

Hi there. An intake gasket leak would allow unmeasured air into the intake and create a lean condition, not an overheating issue. Base on what you’ve described, it sounds like you may have a leaking cylinder head gasket. Adding sealants to any system can produce more problems than fixes and should only be used in emergency situations. If you need to have this addressed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the overheating problem and address this issue properly.