Q: The engine keeps shutting off and rpms slowly drop to zero

While driving the engine dies and rpms slowly drop...all other things are good. Oil level good, full on gas, battery is charging and above 12 and temperature is good. What is going on?

A: Hello. If the RPMs drop off right as the en...

Hello. If the RPMs drop off right as the engine is stalling then the most common cause of this is a bad crankshaft position sensor.

This sensor tells the engine computer what the engine RPM speed is and what the position of the cylinders are. If it fails, the computer does not know the position of the engine so it will stall.

I typically install a computer scan tool to monitor the engine RPM to confirm that the signal is being lost before it dies. If it does, then I replace the sensor. If not then I check the other sensor signals to see what is going on.

If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to properly diagnose your stalling issue.